It was Saturday night, and our monthly women's jam was tomorrow in Kilburn.
Brrrrrrr, I thought. I think I'll make a big batch of that creamy gingery chicken and vegetable soup again.. and bet it will warm my soul RIGHT UP after the jam!
So, on to the soup:
INGREDIENTS (serves 3-4 people)
1 and 1/4 cups of almond milk
300g of chicken breast
1 and 1/2 tbsp of fresh ginger
1 medium onion
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 medium broccoli
1/4 medium cauliflower (or you can just use more broccoli)
100g of spinach
1 cube Kallo Organic Chicken stock cube
Salt, pepper, chili flakes to taste
1. Heat the almond milk in a saucepan on a low heat.
2. Whilst the almond milk is heating, chop the ginger and onion.
3. When the almond milk is a little heated, crumble the Kallo stock cube in to the saucepan.
4. Add the ginger and onion, and salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste.
5. Keep the saucepan on a low heat whilst you chop and prepare your chicken and sweet potato (I chopped mine pretty small, it was no bigger than the size of a cherry..).
6. Add the chopped chicken and sweet potato to the saucepan.
7. Continue to cook on a low heat with a saucepan-cover for about 5-8 minutes whilst you chop up your broccoli and cauliflower.
8. After 5 minutes, add the broccoli and cauliflower.
9. Allow to simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, or until all the ingredients are cooked properly, and give the soup a stir now and again too.
10. When the ingredients are cooked, turn your saucepan off and add the spinach, and cover the pan again.
11. Set the pan aside for 5 more minutes to allow the spinach to steam.
12. Transfer the soups contents into a blender/food processor and blend until desired (I still kept some texture and chunkiness to my soup).
13. Allow to cool a tad, and serve!